Spay and Neuter - Cat Faeries Stand
It is absolutely unbelievable that this question continues to pop up.
Since the 1960's the need to spay and neuter has been discussed and written about extensively. The subject has the support of veterinarians, behaviorists, scientists, not to mention the over crowded animal shelters across the US, and anyone with common sense.
- There are articles everywhere about the importance of spay and neuter. You'd have to be living under a rock to successfully avoid reading the articles, or to have conversations with people who know that spay and neuter is super important. There is absolutely no reason or any excuse to not spay or neuter! Not spaying or neutering is shameful on the part of the human caregiver. We will not mince words here:
- Every time your female cat cycles and does not conceive its a death sentence. You are setting her up for mammary gland cancer. Most un-spayed female cats develop cancer by age 6. These cancers are generally fatal.
- Un-altered cats spray urine and fight. They are responding to nature - they ARE NOT bad cats, they are awash with hormones and are acting accordingly.
- Many things go wrong when cats give birth to kittens. Often the mother cat is too young and doesn't know what to do. Kittens can be born dead. They can be born with their entrails outside their bodies. They can be born with birth defects.
- Every time you find a home for one of your kittens you are taking a home away from a shelter cat, and you are contributing to euthanasia.
- If you want your children to understand the birds and the bees, take them to the library.
- Millions upon millions of cats and dogs are put to death in the US annually because there simply are not enough homes for all of them. If your cat is having kittens or impregnating female cats you are responsible for this mass genocide of cats and dogs.
Anyone with an unaltered cat should be forced to watch as teary eyed vets or techs euthanize beautiful but unwanted cats - better yet, let the selfish individuals who won't spay or neuter inject the fluid which kills the cat and see how it feels to kill innocent cats and kittens. End of subject.