Here are a handful of sudden behavior changes in multi cat households which could be a signal that one of your cats is in the early stages of a serious illness.
* sudden fighting
* one cat is singled out and picked on
* new alliances are formed, old alliances end
* change in hierarchy
* blood in the litter box (get to the vet – QUICK!)
* eating less or eating much more
* vomiting after eating
* coughing, sneezing, wheezing
* sudden dislike of a once favorite food or treat
* withdrawing from affection
* hiding in closets
* sleeping longer hours, sleeping deeper
Sometimes it seems hard to keep on top of everything we want to be observant of. Its so important to slow down, do less, and spend more time with our furry loved ones. Serious illness can sometimes come from nowhere. But if you think back, there were probably signs, subtle for sure, but there were signs that something was going on. A shift. A change. Behavior changes which have little to do with personalities but all to do with health should be carefully examined and acted upon with the help of your veterinarian. If need be, consult with a veterinary internist.
In loving memory of Jacques Frost, September 18, 1994 – November 25, 2007.