MOLD IN PAST EXTRUDED DOG FOODS
-Notice, Explanation, and Response-
PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE CAREFULLY AND COMPLETELY BEFORE EMAILING WYSONG.
Higher than target moisture levels have been found in some bags of Wysong dry extruded dog foods manufactured in June, July and August of 2009. High moisture can result in premature spoilage and mold. No problems have been found or reported in any other Wysong food product. No laboratory tests on the recalled products have been positive for mycotoxins or food borne pathogens.
Nevertheless, the following foods should not be fed and should be exchanged:
Wysong Maintenance™: lot #: 090617
Wysong Maintenance™: lot #: 090624
Wysong Maintenance™: lot #: 090706
Wysong Maintenance™: lot #: 090720
Wysong Maintenance™: lot #: 090817
Wysong Senior™: lot #: 090623
Wysong Senior™: lot #: 090811
Wysong Synorgon™: lot #: 090629
Please contact the point of purchase for an exchange or refund.
Mold spores are in all natural foods. When there is heat, oxygen, and sufficient moisture the spores can bloom into mold. Everyone has experienced this with foods at home.
From what can be determined, the problem with the Wysong foods stems from unusually high heat and humidity on those summer dates. This combined with a malfunctioning moisture checking device is believed to be the cause of the higher moisture and this isolated problem.
All Wysong foods have been tested for mycotoxins and are negative. That is the primary danger in consuming moldy foods. If your pet has consumed the product, the most that could be expected would be loose stool, and this should clear upon changing from these lot numbers.
As noted in the article below, mold is a ubiquitous problem in all packaged foods. Wysong takes many measures to address this:
1. Incoming ingredients are tested for moisture and mycotoxins.
2. Finished products are also tested.
3. Ingredients are used to inhibit mold growth.
4. The NutriPak oxygen and light barrier packaging inhibits aerobic mold growth.
5. Products are nitrogen flushed to remove oxygen.
6. Products are fresh batched.
7. Ingredients are used to help adsorb toxins should they be present.
8. People are advised to refrigerate or freeze unused product, i.e. treat it like any fresh natural food is treated.
9. Most importantly, Dr. Wysong has advised for the past 30 years against feeding any singular food meal after meal. Diets should be rotated and fresh foods incorporated into meal planning in order to decrease the risk of chronic exposure to toxins that may be present in any one food. This information is on all Wysong packaged pet foods.