Once again jerky treats which were made in China for dogs and cats are making animals sick or causing them to die. You must read labels carefully. Avoid food for your cat or dog that is made in China, Thailand or Vietnam. Often stores will cover up the country of origin with the price tag!
Here’s what the FDA says in its latest warning – “As of September 24, 2013, FDA has received more than 3000 complaints of illness related to consumption of chicken, duck, or sweet potato jerky treats, nearly all of which are imported from China. The reports involve more than 3600 dogs, 10 cats and include more than 580 deaths.”
Even if a product is made in the US they could be sourcing ingredients from anywhere – including China. And while I have your attention, read the labels, if there is fish on the ingredient list do not buy it – more on “why we no longer consume fish” in an upcoming newsletter.
Here’s two articles on the latest FDA warning:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/22/us/fda-jerky-pet-treats-warning/ – FDA to vets: Watch out for jerky pet treats; some linked to illness, death
http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/jerky-treat-progress-report – Jerky Treat Progress Report?
Here’s a link to the latest FDA warning:
http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm371450.htm – FDA Releases Progress Report on Jerky Pet Treat Investigation
Even if it wasn’t nearly Halloween this article would still be creepy! And eye opening. And contains some interesting facts. It’s a mix of scary chemical science which in Cat Faeries’ opinion is corporations analyzing the likes and cravings of both people and cats then creating health sabotaging frankenfoods to seduce us into eating them.
There are also many fascinating factoids. On page 2 you’ll learn about Pyrophosphates have been described as “cat crack.” On page 4 they explain the differences in how a cat eats from how a dog eats. On page 6 you’ll learn when animals hunt in the wild which parts of the prey a cat or dog goes for, and the nutritional value. Also on page 6 they discuss the origins of even our cravings for survival which is a mix of salt, sugar and fat – hence fast food addiction which plagues many people and is known as SAD (Standard American Diet).
From page 6:
Animals’ taste systems are specialized for the niche they occupy in the environment. That includes us. As hunters and foragers of the dry savannah, our earliest forebears evolved a taste for important but scarce nutrients: salt and high-energy fats and sugars. That, in a nutshell, explains the widespread popularity of junk food. And the wide spreads in general—an attribute we now share with our pets. A recent veterinary survey found that more than 50 percent of dogs and cats are overweight or obese.
After you read all 6 pages of the story be sure to check out the reader’s comments. Some of them are quite good (and as usual many of them are quite bad and idiotic):
Here’s some tips from our thrifty cat behaviorist. Remember, you get full detailed instructions with your order for all of these Cat Faeries products.
Cat toys, making them last, keeping them fresh & clean
- Store catnip toys in a Zip lock bag. Press as much air out as you can, then seal.
- Use Scotch tape or packing tape to remove fuzz and dust (just like you do to remove cat fur from your clothes).
- If your cat pees on a toy: lightly mist with Anti Icky Poo several times over a day or two, then let dry completely.
- If your cat hurls a fur ball on a cat toy: scrape off what you can, then lightly mist Anti Icky Poo several times over the course or a day, then let dry completely.
Remembering to use your Comfort Zone with Feliway spray. Don’t put it out of sight, out of mind!
- Store it in a place that you go to every day so you get the visual prompt to use it.
- near the coffee maker
- near the your toothbrush
- on top of the TV or by the remote control
- on the coffee table or an end table
- If you are correcting a problem use your spray two or three times a day.
- If you are maintaining your efforts and the cats are being good, use it once a day or a few times a week.
Places to NOT store Feliway spray
- near the fire place
- near the stove or oven
- near the heater
Remembering to swap out a spent Comfort Zone with Feliway diffuser refill for a new one:
- Order from us and get stickers for your calendar or appointment book. And use them!
- Your stickers will help you to know that your diffuser is working properly. If your refill bottle lasts longer or shorter than 4 weeks it’s time to replace it.
Taking good care of your Feliway diffuser to make it last a long time:
- The manufacturer says a diffuser will last 6 months. Because we take good care of ours we’ve had the same ones for many years.
- Every few months unplug your diffuser and with a damp Q-tip remove built up dust and crud.
- Don’t bang the vacuum cleaner into the diffuser as your clean your floors.
- Be careful to not drop it when you change your refill bottles.
Cat Faeries Flower Essences For Cats – where to store them, how to handle the dropper:
- It’s best to store them in a cabinet, but if that’s not practical then find a darkish corner in your kitchen. Ours tend to end up in a kitchen corner so we see them every morning when we change the cat’s water bowl.
- If you broke your dropper – ask us for a new one when you place your next order. We’ll send one free.
- Don’t let the dropper touch your fingers, or fall to the floor or countertop. If that happens, don’t panic, rinse it under filtered water and place it back in the bottle. Dirt and oils from fingers can contaminate the waters.
- NEVER put the glass dropper in the cat’s mouth! That’s why our handout is full of great ways to administer flower essences: food, water, anoint.
Cat Beds – we’ve had some of ours since the 1990’s!
- Always wash them in COLD water with mild soap
- Always air dry, never machine dry
- So that your bed dries fast, grasp the outer velveteen, and the inner fleece and pull them apart to form a <> shape. This allows air to flow and speed up drying time.
Anti Icky Poo – how long it will last and a clever use for it.
- Unopened it will last 3 years.
- Opened it should be used within 1 year.
- Store it under the sink or a cool place.
- Keep it upright so it doesn’t leak.
- If you’ve got some left over and it’s getting old – pour it down the kitchen drain and it will eat up soap scum and grease! Leave it sit for about an hour if you can.
Big news! We just learned that “The Walking Dead” star Norman Reedus has joined Cruelty Free International to call for a ban on animal tests for cosmetics in the U.S. and around the world.
Norman says: ‘Scores of countries around the world are beating the U.S. to become cruelty-free by banning cosmetics tests on animals. Nobody wants rabbits or guinea-pigs to suffer for our vanity, least of all the animals. Let’s stop their suffering right here, right now. Join me in supporting the Cruelty Free International call to Congress and the FDA to bring an end to animal testing for
cosmetics in the U.S.’ — at Photo by Leslie Hassler in New York City.
(Click the image to see it larger)
At one time I told everyone – “Use NARS lipstick, it’s gluten free!” Wheat gluten is nasty stuff and your cat faerie avoids it.
Then I heard about the articles circulating the internet about lead in lipstick. Being obsessed with this sort of thing I spent an hour hunting for an article which didn’t just sound the alarm but which told us which lipsticks are the worst offenders. And darn it to pieces if my NARS wasn’t at the top of the list! Goodness, I’ve probably eaten a massive amount of it over the years!
Here’s the best article I could find: http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/05/study-lead-metals-lipstick-top-20
Once the initial shock wore off I marched back to where I bought my NARS with a copy of the article and the unused lipsticks and got my money back.
And not being one to just warn you and leave you without an option I want to pass along what I’ve switched to:
My favorite make up line is RMS Beauty. It’s everything this girl could want: it’s soy free, gluten free, worn by fussy fashion models, and it’s the purest I have found. I’m head over heels with: Lip2Cheek, Un Cover-up, Un-powder, the cream eye shadows, the illuminizer. I’m loopy for all of it! What you’ll notice is that founder Rose-Marie Swift believes in a “human palette.” No bright green eye shadows or black lipstick here!
If you know of a makeup line this good let us know and we’ll post it. Since a good majority of our customers are women, and who can resist wearing even a tiny bit of make-up, we pass this on to you because we want your pretty self to stay healthy!
We are disgusted – for the third time Natura has expanded their recall of cat and dog food because of salmonella. All of Natura’s brands are affected – dry cat and dog food and various bars and treats. Brands are Innova, California Natural, EVO, HealthWise, Mother Nature and Karma.
Read Natura’s press release here which gives all of the brand names, products, lot numbers and expiration dates for this latest expansion.