When using Anti Icky Poo urine cleaner, a black light is handy for finding places your cat has sprayed with urine or peed on. They are also helpful if you are considering buying a new home to find out if there are any urine stains.
But they are not fail safe – they are not accurate on all surfaces. They are most accurate on smooth surfaces like a painted wall or very low pile carpet. They don’t reveal urine in kitty litter or on carpets with a deep pile.
And you must use them in total darkness.
Recently we got this email from a customer:
Dear Cat Faeries
After treatment with Anti-Icky-Poo will spots still fluoresce under UV / Blacklight? I understand this is not as important as removal of the smell / pheromones is the most important, but still I’m just wondering, especially in terms of being able to identify a ‘new’ spot vs on previously treated other than intensity of the fluorescing.
Great question. The spots could still how under your black light. Here is why you may still see discoloration after using a round of Anti Icky Poo:
- Staining or spots could remain if they have been there a very long time
- The urine could have stripped the dyes from the carpet
- The naturally occurring dyes in urine could still be in the fibers
- Believe it or not, sometimes the dye you see is from the cat’s food!
- Once you are confident that Anti Icky Poo completely got rid of the urine smells and gases, you might consider having a professional carpet cleaning service come in will help to remove the traces of urine dye
This week we also heard from another person who wondered if Anti Icky Poo is safe to use after her cat urinated in a house plant. It is totally safe – it won’t hurt the plant or taint the soil!
As you said and it’s also on our website, smell is the way to know that the urine proteins and gases are gone. Further evidence is observing your cats – do they hover around those spots you treated? If not, then Anti Icky Poo was completely successful!
As for knowing if those are old spots or new ones: You might keep a sheet a paper and list the locations and size of the stains you treated. If you use a black light every month or so this will help you know if the spots are old ones or new ones.
Get 10% off Golden Healer crystals and Cat Faeries’ own handcrafted flower essences for cats through November 1st. No coupon code required – the savings are right on the website.
Cat Faeries’ flower essences for cats are professionally crafted for cats taking into consideration their collective consciousness and doing our best to get into the minds of our feline friends. Our golden healer crystals are quartz crystals which grew near Iron Hydrate tinting them with varying shades of golden yellow to orange and thus amplifying their healing power.
Two very nice messages from our customer Sherry about Cat Faeries’ flower essences for cats…
Hi, I just wanted to let you know the success I am seeing with your Flower essences I ordered recently. I have 5 cats that have been having behavior issues since my latest cat came to live with us 3 years ago. I have used flower essences from other reputable companies but had limited success. I ordered your Territorial Rescue and Multi Cat. I already had Comfort Zone. I started using your essences and right away I noticed less tension among the cats and things have been getting better every day. Less fighting and less marking. I have also noticed the cats can tolerate each other being closer to each other and seem to play alone more and watching for the other cat’s reaction. I give the essences in their food and water and spray the comfort zone on the areas they have marked before. I also make a treatment bottle of essences with a few drops in a small bottle and spray that around the house. I am sure that with my continued use of your essences that I can get may cat family back on track. I am hooked and will be ordering more when I run out. I think the kitties will be getting some of your cat toys for Christmas this year too. The reviews are great and if they behave Santa just might have a few of your toys in his bag!!
Thank your for making a product that really does work!!
I think you are right that your essences are stronger because of the way they are made. It only makes sense that a live plant would give off more of the essence that a dead one would. Whatever it is they really do work much better than the essences I have used before.
I will be ordering Calm and Serene essence when I order again as I have one kitty that is rather high strung. Her being like that kind of riles everyone up. She is doing good with what I am doing but I think she needs a little more to take the edge off her energy.
Thank you again! What a nice surprise. You are a cat angel!
Here’s some tips from our thrifty cat behaviorist. Remember, you get full detailed instructions with your order for all of these Cat Faeries products.
Cat toys, making them last, keeping them fresh & clean
- Store catnip toys in a Zip lock bag. Press as much air out as you can, then seal.
- Use Scotch tape or packing tape to remove fuzz and dust (just like you do to remove cat fur from your clothes).
- If your cat pees on a toy: lightly mist with Anti Icky Poo several times over a day or two, then let dry completely.
- If your cat hurls a fur ball on a cat toy: scrape off what you can, then lightly mist Anti Icky Poo several times over the course or a day, then let dry completely.
Remembering to use your Comfort Zone with Feliway spray. Don’t put it out of sight, out of mind!
- Store it in a place that you go to every day so you get the visual prompt to use it.
- near the coffee maker
- near the your toothbrush
- on top of the TV or by the remote control
- on the coffee table or an end table
- If you are correcting a problem use your spray two or three times a day.
- If you are maintaining your efforts and the cats are being good, use it once a day or a few times a week.
Places to NOT store Feliway spray
- near the fire place
- near the stove or oven
- near the heater
Remembering to swap out a spent Comfort Zone with Feliway diffuser refill for a new one:
- Order from us and get stickers for your calendar or appointment book. And use them!
- Your stickers will help you to know that your diffuser is working properly. If your refill bottle lasts longer or shorter than 4 weeks it’s time to replace it.
Taking good care of your Feliway diffuser to make it last a long time:
- The manufacturer says a diffuser will last 6 months. Because we take good care of ours we’ve had the same ones for many years.
- Every few months unplug your diffuser and with a damp Q-tip remove built up dust and crud.
- Don’t bang the vacuum cleaner into the diffuser as your clean your floors.
- Be careful to not drop it when you change your refill bottles.
Cat Faeries Flower Essences For Cats – where to store them, how to handle the dropper:
- It’s best to store them in a cabinet, but if that’s not practical then find a darkish corner in your kitchen. Ours tend to end up in a kitchen corner so we see them every morning when we change the cat’s water bowl.
- If you broke your dropper – ask us for a new one when you place your next order. We’ll send one free.
- Don’t let the dropper touch your fingers, or fall to the floor or countertop. If that happens, don’t panic, rinse it under filtered water and place it back in the bottle. Dirt and oils from fingers can contaminate the waters.
- NEVER put the glass dropper in the cat’s mouth! That’s why our handout is full of great ways to administer flower essences: food, water, anoint.
Cat Beds – we’ve had some of ours since the 1990’s!
- Always wash them in COLD water with mild soap
- Always air dry, never machine dry
- So that your bed dries fast, grasp the outer velveteen, and the inner fleece and pull them apart to form a <> shape. This allows air to flow and speed up drying time.
Anti Icky Poo – how long it will last and a clever use for it.
- Unopened it will last 3 years.
- Opened it should be used within 1 year.
- Store it under the sink or a cool place.
- Keep it upright so it doesn’t leak.
- If you’ve got some left over and it’s getting old – pour it down the kitchen drain and it will eat up soap scum and grease! Leave it sit for about an hour if you can.
Good golly, it still amazes us that in 2013 we still need to have this conversation about spaying. Dr. Richard Orzeck, DVM who calls himself Dr. Oz the Wizard of Veterinary Medicine tells us why it’s vital to spay a female cat and he’s funny about it too. We are presenting two of his articles, one which is very funny, and one which is more scientific. Both are well done and informative, you’ll enjoy both and if you have friends who need coaxing about spaying, please forward this newsletter.
The funny version:
The scientific version:
Our customer Kit asked us this question recently and we thought everyone would like some insight (and a sale!).
The manufacturer says the diffusers typically function well for 6 months and after that they should be replaced. However, we find this is far from typical! Our customers report that most of their Comfort Zone with Feliway diffuser plug-ins are still going after years of continued use. Personally, we have many of the same diffusers we installed over 10 years ago.
You will notice on those older diffusers that residue collects on the white ball shaped portion. This is normal. It’s the oil which has migrated upwards. And it’s easy to clean off – remove the diffuser from the outlet and take a damp Q-tip to remove the oil and the dust which is clinging to it.
If your Feliway refill bottles are running out in 4 weeks time then your diffuser is still working perfectly. If your refill bottles take longer than 4 weeks then it’s time to replace the diffusers.